Section 1
Section Navigation Bar

Application for a Registration/Storage Licence

under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005

Please read the guidance notes below before completing this form.


Guidance to Applicants

This form should only be used for explosives that do not require an explosive certificate from the Police - for example, fireworks, other pyrotechnic articles and small arms ammunition. Please do not use this form if you plan to store smokeless powder or any explosive requiring an explosives certificate, e.g. black powder, blasting explosives.

Please contact your local licensing authority if you have any questions about completing this form or about your application. If you live in the metropolitan counties (i.e. West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Tyne and Wear, South, and West Yorkshire) or in Oxfordshire, Cornwall or Norfolk, you will need to apply to the fire and rescue service. In other areas you will normally need to contact the trading standards department of your local authority.

Which do I apply for, a registration or a licence?

The maximum quantities that can be stored under a registration are:

  • 250 kilograms of small arms ammunition and percussion caps.
  • 250 kilograms of Hazard Type 4 explosives (e.g. most consumer fireworks and other pyrotechnic articles).
If you are keeping any of the more powerful Hazard Type 3 explosives then the quantities are reduced to 100 kg. If you are keeping any Hazard Type 1 explosives the quantity reduces to 30 kg.
Please seek further advice from your supplier if you are uncertain about the hazard types of explosive you wish to store.
You will need to apply for a licence if you want to store more than the quantities permitted under a registration. If you want to store more than 2 tonnes of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence (on Form LP41, available at or by telephoning 0151 951 4741).
The quantities referred to above are the 'net mass' of the explosives. This means the weight of the explosive contained within an article (i.e. less packaging, casings etc). In the case of fireworks and other pyrotechnic articles this is assumed to be one quarter of the gross weight of the article - unless you have more specific information from the supplier.
If the store location does not have a postal address (e.g a store in a field) please include a map (1:25000) showing its location. The licensing authority may also wish to see a floorplan of the sales area if you plan to store or display more than 12.5 kg of fireworks there.
Period of validity: registration and licence certificates for fireworks and other explosives that do not require an explosive certificate are normally renewed annually on a common renewal date. Initial applications may be granted for s period longer than one year so that they fall due for renewal on the common renewal date. For example, an applicant applying in June might be granted a licence for 15 months to expire in September of the following year.

Important notes

It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of, and complying with the regulations on the manufacture and storage of explosives.

The licensing authority will not normally visit your premises before granting a registration. The authority may prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is unsafe. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.

If you are planning to sell fireworks outside certain limited periods of the year you may also need a licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004. Your supplier or local licensing authority will be able to advise you.

eForms by AchieveForms